With the number of blocks submitted I decided I could make a quilt of 6 blocks across and 9 blocks down without leaving any blocks out. Well almost anyway - I was 4 blocks short. So I decided to make a center block to make it work. Since we're quilters, I decided on a little embroidered quilter girl, who was embroidering the word "hugs".
Next I thought about what could work for the borders. I found a picture of a quilt with an applique border that I thought she'd like. I made the wimsical flowers in the bright fabrics that she prefers. Then I thought that I really didn't want a full border of flowers because I wanted to leave some open space for qulting some feathers for her. Lots of planning and decisions later, here's the finished quilt and some close-ups of the flowers, the center, and the quilted feathers.