Here is my month 6 block, a cornucopia. Our instructor gave us several cornucopia bases to choose from and we were to fill them with items of our choice. I decided on doing some Fall things - a white pumpkin, an apple, a pear, and some blackberries. I wasn't real happy with the red color I chose for the apple but liked the highlight shading on the fabric. I decided to tea stain the apple so the red would blend better with my other blocks. That wasn't quite dark enough yet so I used coffee to stain it darker. I also decided to put some shading on the pear with the tea bag and for good measure did a little bit on the pumpkin too. Ahh, much better.
I don't know if you can tell, but the lip of the cornucopia is braided. This was the first time I'd tried doing that. I made a bias strip and sewed it into a tube, then braided it, and sewed it down. Something didn't look quite right - the braid was way too loose and chunky. I asked my instructor, and sure enough, the seam I sewed in it made it bulky - I could have just folded in the edges. I decided to take it apart and cut out the seam. That reduced the bulk and I was able to make the braid tighter. I'm much happier with it this way.
My second cornucopia is in process. It has silk ribbon roses on it - another first for me. And my third cornucopia is traced and ready to go. Guess I have some catching up to do. I'll have to applique like crazy to get back on track. Being sick sure can slow a person down.