Thursday, November 26, 2009

Turkey (or Chicken) Casserole Recipe

Here's a recipe that would be great for that leftover turkey.  I used it when I had leftovers from a rotisserie chicken, so it works good with chicken too.

Turkey (or Chicken) Casserole
1 cup rice, cooked according to package directions
10 oz broccoli florets
10 oz cauliflower florets
1/2 cup butter (I use Smart Balance)
1 onion, chopped
1 (10 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 can (5 oz) milk (low-fat milk also works) & remaining cooking water (from broccoli)
2-4 cups chicken (cooked & chopped)
1 cup grated cheese (I use mild cheddar)
1 1/2 cups crushed buttery round crackers (I use Ritz)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook rice according to package directions.  Simmer broccoli & cauliflower in about a cup of water for 10 minutes, then drain and reserve cooking water.  In large saucepan, melt butter and saute onion.  Stir in vegetables and cooked rice.  Once they're coated, stir in soup, milk, and reserved cooking water.  Pour about half the mixture into a 9 x 13" baking dish (you've sprayed with Pam or similar), top with turkey pieces, top with remaining mixture.  Sprinkle with cheese and then crushed crackers.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Note:  other vegetables you have on hand could be subsituted for the broccoli & cauliflower - such as carrots, peas, celery or even sliced water chestnuts if you like a little crunch.



Side note:  I got this recipe by putting "chicken" in the recipe finder at the end of my posts.  It took me to that recipe site where I also checked off rice and broccoli.  It gave me a list of recipes to choose from; this one sounded good, so we tried it the other day.  It was so good.  Give the recipe finder, below, a try especially if you know what food items you have in the house but can't decide what to make with them.  The search by ingredients layout is really helpful.

No comments: